Oh my god ... to die for !!! Talk about a little effort that promises a wickedly indulgent weekend breakfast or anyday dessert, this is it for sure. A judicious smear of mascarpone (Italian cream cheese which is half the fat of butter) helps to make it luxurious, but even lighter low-fat cream cheese will work as well. Warming the berries is part of the secret as it will make the flavor bloom and transform their juices into a rosy syrup.
Are your mouths watering yet?
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups sliced or diced hulled strawberries
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone, (Italian cream cheese)
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to bubble, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add strawberries and stir until juices begin to exude and the berries are heated through, 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone on each piece of toast. Top with the warm berries.